Simplicity 2358, Music Bag
With both the bag and the lining done by Saturday night, all I had to do on Sunday was put the two together, finish the top stitching and add the strap. Not too much to do, but I was at point where I needed a design consultation with my son.
We had originally planned on accenting the strap with some leather and then using leather tabs on the front of the bag. I had two pre-made adjustable straps in my collection of sewing stuff, but the problem was that I could not use the straps and the leather in combination. The resulting product would be too stiff to use the sliders and because he's still growing, being able to adjust the strap is important. So, no leather. Since we got rid of that, the bag was going to be very plain.
I suggested some piping made of the lining fabric, because I had all the materials already and because it would add something interesting to the bag. He agreed and it wasn't too much work to make enough piping to go around the flap. I like result and the bag isn't as boring.
The bag wasn't as stiff as I'd liked it to be, so I did add an extra layer of interfacing in the front and bottom and then some really stiff Peltex stuff for the back. The bag is more stable, and more like what I imagined.
Just a peek inside:
He's happy with it and since piano lessons are tomorrow, he'll get to use it.
Parting Shot: Purse. I bought a new purse recently - this one is a dyed, woven straw type of purse, made in Southeast Asia. I loved the teal color with the black trim for fall.