Paisley Tunic - Burda 4/09 #121
My daughter wanted me to make the tunic next, so I've traced the pattern, cut it out and started work on it. This was the piece I was not looking forward to making, only because of the cheap poly silky fabric that I've got to work with. It is the right fabric for my daughter and what she wanted in a tunic, because I certainly wasn't going to pay for silk just to let her ruin it at school. The problem with it is that it is shifty and slippery, thus my solution was to starch it. That's right, good old starch will make the fabric stiff and easy to work with. Once the tunic is done, I'll rinse it all out and it will be just fine.
So far, this has been pretty easy, this is pretty much your standard tunic with a slit in the front and long sleeves with shaped hem. The neck line is similar to the Simplicity I just made, with the exception that there is a slit at center front. Other than that, it is the same sort of reverse facing. I'll probably do the same thing with the sleeve facings, too. My daughter found some matching solid satin from my fabric collection, so that will set off the neckline and sleeves from the body of the tunic.
All that's left is sleeves, side seams and hems. Shouldn't be too hard!
Parting Shot: Kiwi. Usually Wellie gets a lot of Parting Shots, but Kiwi was at the window today, so I thought she should have her moment in the spotlight. I tried to get a good picture of her, but all she wanted to do was to check out the camera.