The School Wardrobe
Butterfly Skirt - Patrones, Modified
The next and last item to get done is the skirt in the butterfly print. We found a pattern in Patrones that we thought would work, but I still wanted to modify it so that it would be easier to make and wear. Here's the original, the main thing I needed from the pattern was the base to attach the ruffles to, which also is the hip yoke:
The plan was to eliminate the bottom ruffle, cut the skirt on the largest size and make an elastic waist instead of the zipper and waistband already drafted. This was not difficult. I traced the largest sized skirt, and to make everything easier, I cut 2 panels per ruffle, 11 1/4" wide x the width of the fabric (about 44") with a rotary cutter. This also put the ruffle side seams on the selvedge so there was no need to finish those seams.
Everything is cut and ready to go, and I've used my serger to finish the hems of the ruffles with a rolled edge hem. Looks good and was quick and easy!
I should have this done on Monday, although I'll be gone to Wilderness First Aid class for the next two days. See you Monday!
Parting Shot: Ready To Go. Here's my son, ready to go on another hike this morning. He's been having a great time hiking this summer. Today's destinations were Mt. Tom and Mt. Field in Crawford Notch.