Flash and Trash - Part XXII
Well it has been a while since a post on this project and since then the skirt assembly has been finished. The back panels have all been inserted and I've added the zipper as well. Here you can see that I've attached the quilted inserts and then stitched the center back seam:
Then I added the velvet godet to the back, which from the wrong side looks like this. The godet was completely finished and lined before inserting it.
It took me a while to actually find the zipper itself. I knew I had a green one, and since I'm trying not to spend any money on this project and use what I have, I had to find it! It wasn't with the rest of my test zippers - zippers that go into muslins and then are ripped out to use for the next one. It wasn't with two other muslins that I've saved because they are good patterns that I can remake some day. I finally found it with a muslin I had neglected to take apart - and the muslin that I reused to make my jacket muslin. Double recycling going on there!
With the zipper found, I was able to install it. Hand picking a zipper actually is not that hard, and if you search my blog, you'll find I've already done several posts on the topic. Here is a close-up of the zipper install. After basting the center back seam shut, and the zipper in place on both sides, I use clear tape to mark the distance from the center back seam that the stitching needs to be, and then I've marked the tape in even increments so that I know where to place each stitch.
So far the back of the skirt looks like this:
Now I need to get the lining made and all the finishing done, not much longer and this one will be done, probably next week some time.
Parting Shot: Tree. Yesterday I helped decorate for a graduation banquet at the school my children attend, the decorating theme was a luxe mountain lodge, complete with trees, large fireplace, mounted game heads, etc. Although it doesn't sound like a typical senior event theme, it turned out really gorgeous. One of my jobs was to hot glue hundreds of tissue paper leaves to this tree to make an aspen tree. At least I didn't have to make the moss balls from fresh moss!