Flash and Trash - Part XXI
Last but not least in this ensemble is a skirt. Originally, I wasn't going to make a companion piece, but since I had enough left over fabrics and thought I had enough other stuff so that I wouldn't have to spend any extra money, it became a good idea.
Because the vest is a lot of look by itself, I don't need the skirt to compete, just to compliment. For that reason, I've chosen a simple skirt pattern, one that I know fits and does not have a lot of details. It is the skirt from the Wedding Suit I made last summer to attend my brother's wedding. Vintage, very simple and easy to make.
I did add some details to it to tie the skirt and vest together. The main skirt is made of the moire taffeta that lines the vest. Because of the smaller pieces of fabric that I was working with, this was the best choice. I had a piece of green satin for the lining and decided to do accents with the green silk and dyed velvet. To accent the skirt, I traced off the back pieces and decided to add some inserts on the diagonal at center back. The smallest one, which is more like a godet, will be made of velvet, since that is fabric I have the least of at this point - just good sized scraps at best. Then there will be a strip of free motion quilted silk to match the cups on the vest, and the rest will be the moire taffeta.
Drafting it up wasn't hard, and once cut apart, I could use the pieces for cutting out the fabric pieces.
Because this post has been delayed a bit by spring break, I've already been able to complete the quilting. The pattern pieces came in handy for trimming down the quilted sections:
Now, to actually get it assembled and finished!
Parting Shot: Flowers. My son brought home flowers today from school for Mother's Day that he and his classmates planted after decorating the pots.