Coordinating Jacket - Part 2
A muslin is always a good idea if you're unsure of the fit of a garment. I knew that the jacket would be too long in the neck to waist length, so I went ahead and folded the pattern pieces and cut the muslin shorter. If there would be any other problems, it would be with the shoulder length and the sleeve width.
After making it up and trying it on, I was right about the sleeve circumference, I needed to take out about 1 1/4" to make the sleeve a bit narrower for me. I also had to make the curve at the top of shoulder smaller, too. No surprise there, I've always had to alter any garment with a seam up the center of the sleeve such as this jacket. The shoulder seam length was good, which was nice! You can see that sleeve seam below and yes, it looked as weird on me as it did on the dress form. In the second photo, you can see that I've tried it on again with the shoulder pads in place and then pinned out the excess fabric.
Since this muslin fit well and all the adjustments involved taking out fabric rather than adding it, I was able to carefully take it apart and use it to underline the jacket. The fabric that I'm using is a silk and cotton boucle (not actually a stripe, but a subby woven with many colors and was one of those rare treasures I found at Jo-ann's on clearance), and is a bit more drapey than I'd like for the jacket. It was too drapey for the dress that I made from it, too. I underlined the dress in cotton muslin, and for the jacket, I figured since I already had a version in muslin, not to waste it and cut out another one.
Now to get everything cut out and all the interfacing fused in place, before moving on to the assembly!
Parting Shot: New Ribbon. Spring's First Blush won a 1st place for ensembles in the garment division at MQX held in April this year. I was a bit surprised as there were some really nice pieces there and I didn't think it would place. I just got the garment back at the end of last week and got the ribbon hung with the others from the other art garments.