Flash and Trash - Part XVI
The vest is almost complete, and today we'll take a look at the neckline trim and finishing. I've decided to use the remaining fringe trim around the entire neckline. I had the option of only using it along the top edges of the front, but since this piece is a little crazy anyway, I decided to do the whole thing. Before making that decision, I did pin several variations in place to see how it looked and liked trim all the way around best.
To start, I basted the fringe in place and made up more bias binding. There seems to be a lot of that in this project! I then stitched the binding in place by machine, turn it to the inside and hand stitched it in place. Seems like I've been doing quite a bit of that lately.
I also decided to trim the fringe down a bit. There was too much of it over the shoulders and it was too long at the back neck edge. When you have a garment that has so much going on in it visually, there does need to be some places where the eye can "rest". Without that open space between the flowers and the fringe, the back seemed to be a bit too much visually.
All that's left for the vest is the label! That doesn't mean we're done, oh no, you know there will be more. For starters, there will be a hat and I'm thinking I have enough fabric leftover for a skirt, too!
Parting Shot: Recital Time. It is that time of year again, and we're now working on a flute number. I just got the accompaniment last week, but we've still got a good three or four weeks before performance.