The Elephant Bag - Vogue 8439, Sort of
My other project for this past weekend was a new library bag for my daughter. Her last one is way too small, in fact, she uses it for her lunches now. After she picked out the fabric, style and gave me the other specifics, I set about to making the bag.
Basically, I made View A in the size of View D without the flap, or any of the pockets as drafted. She wanted one pocket on the outside, which I sandwiched in between the straps.
I also did a sort of binding on the top edge. It really isn't a binding, but rather than pressing the seam that joins the lining and bag flat along the seam line, I wrapped the lining up and over the seam allowance and then top stitched it. This took up some of the excess length in the bag lining. I have found that bag linings need to be a bit shorter than the bag itself or else there's too much lining.
She really likes it and I'm hoping this will work better for her than trying to juggle all those books out of the library!
Parting Shot: One Done, One to Go. I've finished the first mitt for my daughter and am now working on the second one. I'm not exactly crazy about this color scheme, but it works for her and it is using up extra yarn that I had in the collection.