A New Jacket -Patrones #271, Model #42
Thank you all for the recent comments on my latest vintage shirt and the Reflections quilt! You confirmed what I thought about the print losing the details on the shirt. After some thought, I've decided to make that one again in a solid in December. Glad you liked the simple little quilt - if Wellie approved it couldn't be too bad, but then again, cats like just about any sort of fabric, don't they?
My son needs a new jacket or blazer for school. He doesn't really like sweaters as they're too hot for him, but he needs something for the classroom when it is cold outside. His garment of choice is a jacket or sport coat or blazer - depends on what you call it. I made him one two years ago and he's worn it a lot and now outgrown it; it is shown below without the red hood.
When presented with a stack of pattern magazines, he went right back to the original. Thankfully, it was graded to a size 10, so that decision was easy. When asked what color he wanted, he said he wanted the exact same jacket, just larger, no hood this time. At least he's easy to please!
I pulled out the magazine, traced off the pattern and then went looking for fabric. Fortunately, I found just enough fine-waled black corduroy (just like the old blazer) to cut out one more jacket. After a little searching, I even found the leftovers of the fake suede I used for the elbow patches. I'll need to get lining, shoulder pads and buttons, but those aren't that expensive.
The last jacket I made, I did not interface the entire body. This time, I will. The jacket always looked fine, as it was intended for casual and everyday wear, but once in a while he'd wear it to church and never quite looked nice enough. Maybe with a little more body to the fabric, the whole thing will look better. To that end, I'm using a very lightweight interfacing, Pro-Sheer (from Fashion Sewing Supply; link on right) in black.
So far, I've got it mostly cut out. The pattern didn't have the undercollar cut on the bias, but I know that's not a mistake I want to make again, especially when I know better. Once I get all the fusing done, I'll be on my way to working on constructing the body!
Parting Shot: Not Safe. I laid this fabric out on the floor nice and flat the other day to see if there was enough for a project and to get an idea of pattern layout. It is hard to see those things if the fabric is on the table. I left the room for a little bit and came back to the photo below. I should have known, and I'll give you only two guesses as to the two of three cats who would have done such a thing.