The Great Vintage Shirt Project - Butterick 7886
A Day Late, But Done
I finished the red blouse this morning and am fairly pleased with the way it turned out. I'm not 100% sure if it is a keeper, although I do like the style a lot. I'll give it a wear test or two before deciding whether I'm going to be keeping it, offering it to my daughter or donating it.
The blouse is comfortable to wear, but I think I'm going to move the buttons over a little bit more as there is a little gaping. It isn't a horrible gaping, but due to the tab spacing, there needs to be a little more overlap of the front.
I like how the sleeve cuffs turned out, complete with points to match the tabs.
I added an extra snap at the waist. Most of the vintage patterns I've made include a snap at or a little below the waist and no buttons below the waist. At the time these patterns were made and sold, for the most part the blouses were worn tucked in, thus buttons below the waist really weren't needed and added extra bulk or a strange little bump. I've actually added an extra button or two to some of the blouses I've made after noticing this fact.
Overall, it was an easy blouse to make, fits well with few modifications (mainly shortening the sleeve length and lowering the bust point a little). Colleen P. did bring up the point that this was a linen blouse, and yes, I realized the fiber content when I cut out the blouse. I am wear testing it today, and as you can see, it does wrinkle terribly and look lumpy-bumpy after wearing it all day (maybe another deciding factor as to keep it or not):
Parting Shot: Last Gift. Last one for my son, that is and not very exciting, some hiking socks. I've got three more people to finish up and then I am done with Christmas shopping. That's not too bad since it is December 1st!