Simplicity 6286 - Boy's Camel Coat
Now that my skirts are done, it is time to get that coat made for my son! Here is the pattern that I'm using, Simplicity 6286, from 1965 (the same year my dad graduated from high school):
I'll be using a camel colored vintage wool from my collection and some sort of lining, which I still need to buy. I washed the wool this morning and dried it, before trying a few pattern layouts. Since the coat is for my son, I wanted to make sure that I could wash the coat at home rather than having to have it dry cleaned. Furthermore, the wool felted a little and thickened up, which is better for a coat anyway.
After trying a few layouts, I quickly discovered that I did not have enough fabric. I tried most of my usual tricks for when I have a little less fabric than what is really needed, but none of them worked. The next option then would be to make the facings, collar and trim pieces out of a another fabric. With that in mind, I went off to Jo-ann's to look for something suitable. Now you know I wouldn't be able to find a matching twill, so I took a look at the corduroy and the plaids, but neither of those worked out, either. I did find this:
It is a faux leather microsuede sort of stuff. My plan is to use this for the facings, pocket welts, tabs and upper collar as a contrast to the camel wool. Add some nice buttons and I think this might work for him. If nothing else, he'll be right on trend for this fall.
This pattern has not been used, so none of the pieces have been cut out. Simplicity put all the small pieces on one sheet to prevent their loss:
I'm hoping to get this cut out tomorrow and to get started on fusing the interfacing to the wool. I'm actually thinking of block fusing it and cutting everything out only once.
Parting Shot: Unwelcome Visitor. We have a stray cat around the neighborhood that likes to