Simplicity 6286 - Boy's Camel Coat
The coat is all finished and I'm really happy with it, as is my son. That first picture was self-styled, I'm not taking credit or blame for it. As soon as he saw the coat, he ran right over to the storage cubes and found his perfect accessory, the sunglasses. Here it is, non-government agent, and then on the dress form.
Now, I know that the coat is too big. He'll grow into it! I do expect that he will be able to wear it two or even three winters. I took the time to make it right and it should last with no problems.
I was finishing the vent in the last post, and I'd like to show you the result. It isn't hard to finish the lining around the vent, but since it is something I don't deal with often, I thought you might like to see how this one turned out. I used the instructions in the pattern and it turned out nicely.
As you can see, the center back seam is sewn to the vent, there's usually a dot on the pattern. In the picture below on the left is actually the right back - the vent extension is only turned under 5/8" at the edge; the lining follows right along the vent extension and is turned under 5/8" along the edge, too. On the right, you're seeing the left back. On this side, there was a different cutting line on the pattern. The fold lines are along the stitching line at the top of the vent and close to the raw edge of the vent that has been folded to the inside along the center back line. You can see that the lining meets at the stitching line at the top of the vent, but clears the vent on the right, allowing it to open, yet the lining is still able to be stitched down.
I did not forget to show you the pad stitching in the collar. There actually isn't any pad stitching in this jacket. When I pulled out my sad, little hair canvas collection, I had just enough for the collar and it was the fusible hair canvas, so that's what I used. I do save the scraps, as I can't buy it locally and sometimes you only need a little bit to reinforce something. Now, all I've got is scrap and I need to order some more!
I'm glad this one is done, but I'm a little sad to see it go. I was enjoying the tailoring work, after doing a lot of quicker projects in the last few months.
Parting Shot: Help. The power was out at our house for about six hours today, so that meant I couldn't use my machines to sew. Meanwhile, I cut out a new project, and in the process decided to organize and clean out the pattern shelf in my closet. Of course I couldn't get it done without some help.