A New Jacket - Part Three
Constructing a lining is the next logical step in completing the jacket now that the body is done. That's easy if your pattern has lining pieces, alas, this one does not. The front facing piece is marked on the front, but there are no pieces provided for the rest of the body and the sleeves. I went ahead and cut out the rest of the pieces, but made a few modifications.
First, I took some of the height off of the sleeve cap. This allows space for the shoulder pad. More detailed instructions for lining changes can be found in Kenneth King's book, Cool Couture.
Next, I cut the back with extra space at the center to create a pleat for wearing ease. While I was working on the back, I also drew in a line to make a back facing (seen all put together in the second photo).
With those things done, it was easy to construct the lining, in just about the same way I made the jacket out of the fashion fabric.
I tried the jacket on my son this morning for a quick fit and shoulder pad check. Everything looks good so far, so once the jacket and lining are joined, I'll just need to finish the hems, tack the shoulder pads in and add the buttons and buttonholes. I told him it would be done by the weekend, so I think that will happen.
Gail: You asked about the three objects in the bottom right of yesterday's photo; the pink item is a candle. The other two brown items are emergency tinder for starting a fire with the waterproof matches.