Patrones #288 Model #15
I Can't Believe It Is Done!
For some reason I actually had a very big block of sewing time today, and since my son's shirt was cut out, I went ahead and started to work on it. After a while, it became apparent that I might actually finish it today, which I did!
While I couldn't make a man's shirt in day, I can make a boy's shirt in a day. Why? Well, the shirt was already cut out, it has short sleeves instead of long with plackets and cuffs, and there are no side vents or shaped hems. I've also eliminated the flat felled seams at the armscye and side seams and used a 4-thread serged seam instead. I've seen this done on some of his RTW shirts, and since these shirts will see hard use and be grown out of, I don't do any extra work that I don't need to.
This shirt is a size 10, and my son is between the size 8 and 10 right now, so I opted to go a little big. The collar and body are a bit big now, but might not be in two months. Or two weeks. Children of his age seem to grow overnight at times.
I didn't have quite enough of the plaid, so I cut the inside yoke and collar stand out of a solid cotton:
For the button down collar buttons, I've used some tiny squares of fusible interfacing fused to the wrong side of the shirt before stitching on the buttons. Sometimes I use a folded square of shirt fabric, but sometimes I do this. This is quick and easy and stabilizes the fabric underneath the button just as well.
Next: Burda 6/08 #108, a blouse for my daughter and then I need to get going on the vintage shirt of the month and Easter things. Easter is only 4 weeks away, as Cennetta has reminded us!
Parting Shot: Mine! I got an order of fabric from Fabricmart today. One piece was a white silk cotton oxford for this month's vintage shirt, but the other piece was some teal velour. My daughter was standing there when I opened the box and she immediately want the fabric for herself. As you can see, she's even petting it. Maybe there will be enough for both of us.