The Great Vintage Shirt Project - Simplicity 4813 v. 1
I did get the back done today! Here it is, so far.
You'd think from the envelope art that the back yoke goes half way down the back. In reality, it doesn't. It is true that the yoke is a little deeper than a traditional yoke and part of that is due to the shaping.
Because of the shaping, the yoke is applied with a lapped seam. The yoke's seam allowance was turned under at the seam line, then carefully pinned to the back matching the raw edges. The yoke was then edge stitched to the back.
The back has a really deep inverted pleat at the back, it is about 3 1/2" wide.
I made one of the tab really quick to see how the whole thing would look. The tab does serve a functional purpose, as it is attached with buttons through all thickness of the deep pleat.
To further help the pleat stay in place, at the waistline a line of stitching is placed to keep everything where is should. Once tucked in, you'd probably never see the line of stitching and the blouse would magically look neat all the time.
Tomorrow: the weekly update on the trouser saga. I've traced a pattern from the hiking pants, and made a few discoveries.
Parting Shot: New and a Bonus. I got two new patterns from eBay today. They've got great details - one is for my daughter and one is for me. I'll do an Inside the Envelope on that Advance next week. The big bonus is that these patterns were auctioned for charity for Haiti relief efforts - 100% of the auction money for these patterns were donated to support those in need.