The Great Vintage Shirt Project - Advance 6083
I was able to complete the blouse last night, and gave it a good pressing this morning. Just like the envelope, this blouse is has very wide sleeves and is wide through the body. Worn with a turtleneck, I can barely button that top button, but without it the shirt buttons easily. The pattern also called for shoulder pads to be inserted into the blouse, I decided against them. I left the triangles on the inset the way they were. You can't really see them too much anyway, with the buttons I chose.
Here are the cuffs with their linked buttons:
I found the linked buttons fairly easy to make.
The only thing is getting them to be the right distance apart, which is much, much closer than any of the illustrations for the directions have you believe. I found it was easiest to hold the two buttons between my thumb and first finger of my left hand, with their backs toward each other and then manipulate the needle and thread with my right hand.
I left a long tail on the outside and the passes between the two buttons fairly large and then went back to tighten them up before blanket stitching the stem between the buttons. The thread tail was clipped off when the stitching was complete, there are plenty of passes between the two buttons so there is not a problem with doing this.
As you can see below, I've tightened up the distance between the two buttons before starting to stitch the center stem.
I'm glad I know how to do this now, because this won't be the only shirt with this detail.
I'm really happy with the shirt and I think this will an interesting year long project! In early February, I'll start the next shirt.
Parting Shot: Monograms. I got these two shirt patterns so that I could make a monogrammed shirt as part of the GVSP. Unfortunately, neither one still has the alphabet transfers. I do have some clues from the one pattern as to size of letters, so I at least have a start as to how to get the right letter for the monogram.