The Great Vintage Shirt Project - Advance 6083
The vintage shirt pattern being made in January is Advance 6083. I showed you the entire envelope in the previous post, but here is the close up of View 2, which is the one I'm making. View 1 is scheduled for December, but if I find a more interesting pattern before then, I might change that.
This blouse has a chevroned, bias inset with a pointy little tab and button, plus cuffs with pointy little tabs, too. Both of those features attracted me.
One thing on the envelope that you probably didn't see yesterday was this:
"Dolores Herrman 10-3-52" After a little research, I found out that this pattern was indeed from 1952. Pretty interesting. You never know when those notes you jot down on the pattern envelope might be interesting to someone else later on.
As a side note, this is an unprinted pattern. All of the symbols found on a pattern piece are denoted by a series of holes or squares in various sizes.
I've started construction on the blouse, and now we get to see all the little details that you don't see from the envelope art. I started with the back and back yoke. Instead of one box pleat or two small sets of gathers over the shoulder blades there are two sets of three stitched tiny tucks over the shoulder blades. First, from the inside:
Next, from the outside:
Definitely a different touch, and one that takes a little more time to do, which means you might not see this feature in today's patterns.
The blouse also has two yokes. Yes, that's right, two. This again is a feature you can't see from from any of the line drawings. Interesting, and a design feature that I haven't seen before.
Tomorrow: more on this project, the inset panel.
Parting Shot. More. The US Postal service did bring me more patterns yesterday. I also got a pajama pattern (not shown), which I think I'll do an Inside the Envelope post for. The details in just a pair of pajamas are worth looking at.