Vogue 1132 - Plaid Jacket
Yesterday I started to work on the plaid jacket to match the skirt. Since I knew I would not have a big block of time to work on the jacket, I decided to start with the sleeves rather than the body. I also wanted to try out a technique that Bunny used on the sleeves cute little red coat she made for her granddaughter; the technique originally came from Nancy Zieman. I always like to give something new a try, and I am pleased with the results. I made mine a little differently, by changing the order of the seams, but the result is the same.
I prepared both the fashion fabric and lining sleeves in the usual manner by stitching the darts, the sleeve seams. I then interfaced the hem on the fashion fabric sleeve. This produces a nicer hem, and make the sleeve a little stronger in the hem area which will likely see the most wear and tear of any part of the sleeve. I also pinked the top edge so that there would not be a hard line visible on the outside where the interfacing ends.
The fashion fabric sleeve and lining sleeve were sewn right sides together at the bottom.
When opened out, before pressing up the hem, the two sleeves look like this, joined at the bototm:
Then the hem was pressed into place and catch stitched to the interfacing only.
The lining sleeve was turned into place and the sleeves caps matched. The lining hem formed a pleat at the bottom for wearing ease and was pressed into place.
Once the sleeves are stitched into the jacket body, the lining sleeves will have to be hand sewn in place. That really isn't too hard and doesn't take too much time.
Now I can start working on the body of the jacket!
Parting Shot: Everywhere. This cat is everywhere. Whenever I open up something new, there he is, right into it. That includes the dryer. He makes the girls look boring by comparison.