Simplicity 2337 - Vintage Trousers
I got the pockets and side seams done on the trousers today - no minor feat after cleaning the house, cooking for company and taking a fun little shopping trip to Sephora with my daughter.
These are not the most exciting pockets in the world, but they're done and have some nice little extras.
First, the front pocket bags have a facing of the fashion fabric. There is a line on the pattern piece for the facing, which I traced onto both pocket bags.
To make the facing, I serged one side of a rectangle of fabric wider and longer than the facing needed to be. I then turned the serged edge under and pressed it:
The pressed edge is then placed with the serged side down along the traced line on the pocket bag. After edge stitching it in place and pressing, the piece looks like the one on the left in the photo below. After pressing the facing piece is trimmed to match the pocket bag shape, so that the front pocket bag looks like the piece on the right.
I also used stay tape to strengthen the front of the trousers where the pocket is attached so that the opening does not sag or stretch out of shape. I simply incorporated the stay tape while stitch the front pocket bag to the side seam.
Here's the pocket all finished from the outside, clean and simple:
From the inside, although I still need to serge around the pocket bag, just to finish it nicely:
Tomorrow, I think I'll be able to finish constructing the trousers and maybe get started on the lining.
Parting Shot: Red Jacket, Again. Here's how I wore the red jacket last night to the concert, with black trousers and a white blouse. The concert, by the way, was excellent and *standing room only*. I stood for about half the concert, while my husband stood for the whole thing.