Patrones #282, Model #36 - Red Print Dress
Installing the Zipper
I found some quiet time to install the zipper, and am pretty happy with the results. I am using an invisible for the dress, which makes sense because I'm not showcasing the zipper, but the print.
To start, I've very carefully thread traced the exact seamline on both sides of center back. I then installed the one side of the zipper and pressed that side.
I then pressed the other seam allowance to the inside and lined up the motifs. I marked each major section of motif on the zipper tape with the water soluble marker and the corresponding section on the new side. This at least helped to get the proper sections in the right spot.
This is not an exact science - some of the motifs lined up better than others. In that case, I gently adjusted the pressed edge (the seam line) to better match up the motifs. Since the pieces were carefully cut out, this actually was not too difficult.
The zipper was then basted in place at the proper place along the seam line, zipped shut and the motifs checked for accuracy. This is point where I did have to take out a small section and move it over so that it would match. It is better to double check and take out basting now, than to sew the whole zipper in and find out something does not match up. This section did not work out too well:
After finishing the major portion of the zipper, I finished the rest of the seam below the zipper. I pressed one edge's seam allowances to the wrong side, then lined up the motifs and slip basted the pieces together before stitching them permanently together. This is the same thing I did to line up the motifs for my paisley dress a few years ago - the link has a much better tutorial explaining how this works.
During slip basting:
The extra effort to baste, mark, baste, and check certainly is worth having the back motfis line up nicely!
Now I need to finish making the lining and get the dress together!
Parting Shot: Costumes. Well, this stuff will be costumes eventually. A very good friend offered some of her collection to help the cause. I'm not sure who really won in this situation - she's getting some storage space back, but we're getting costumes!