Vogue 1132 - Jacket
Part Two, Construct Jacket Body
Since I'm not sewing any art garments at the moment and I only have a few custom pieces/alterations to work on, I've been able to spend a couple of hours working on the jacket. This morning I was able to get the body constructed. So far, so good:
Since the fabric I'm working with is rather drapey, and actually would have made a great quilted Chanel-style jacket, I decided to underline the whole thing by using a fusible interfacing. I've chosen two different weights because the body pieces and the tailored pieces (front and collar) need different support. All of the body except the front has ProWeft interfacing fused to it (on the left below), the fronts and collar have ProWoven fused to them (on the right below). The ProWeft is really nice as it adds body but does not cause the fabric to become extremely stiff or board-like. The fabric still drapes nicely, but is not limp. Both interfacings are available from Fashion Sewing Supply, just use the link on the right.
Tomorrow is a short day due to ensemble practice and a play meeting. I am the assistant director for the high school play this year, so I'll be devoting some of my time this fall and winter to that. I think I'll be able to get the sleeves assembled and set in with the time I'll have to work on it tomorrow.
Parting Shot: Good Start. I've got a good start on my scarf and the pattern isn't too difficult. Cables are my favorite thing to knit, so between the color and style, I'm really happy with how this is turning out.