Garden Path - Jacket - Part LI
I'm Not Suffering From Insanity, I'm Enjoying Every Minute Of It!
I saw this bumper sticker recently and unfortunately, I could identify with it regarding Garden Path. This weekend I put in the jacket label and added the covered snaps.
That usually signals the end of the project, but not with this one!
Why? There's one more embellishment left: the rhinestones that go at the intersections of the twin needle quilting lines! Or what I thought would be the rhinestones. I ordered up 4 gross (576 individual rhinestones to be exact) quite some time ago and they have been waiting since for this phase of the project. I pulled them out Saturday, thinking it would pretty quick and easy to get them hot-fixed in place and the project finished. Just out of curiosity, I laid some out and then photographed them to see how they would look. Let's just say that even though they are yellow to match the fabric, they photograph like little grey dots! Not good. I have to be able to photograph this ensemble and have the pictures accurately reflect what it looks like. In the photo below, there are two rows of rhinestones and two rows of sequins above those. See the difference?
The alternatives would be: not using anything at all or finding something else. I didn't like the idea of not adding anything because the quilting lines cross over the double lines and it looks a bit odd. Something else then was the only option. That something else ended up being - you guessed it - beads and sequins! Yay. Thankfully I had the right colors - both an opaque and iridescent yellow - in stock and was able to get started.
Combined, the two yellows look like this, which is the color I want. Neither sequin by itself was the right color.
I actually like this better as there is a bit of glitter, but no grey dots and none of the excessive bling factor of rhinestones which actually detracts from the border.
I've been working on this all day and all I've got left is the back of the skirt and a few spots in the border to do. I think I can finish the back of the skirt tonight and the border tomorrow. I need to press out all the flowers in the border and double check everything, tomorrow too, but I think it will then be done! I think . . .
Parting Shot: Another Treasure. I went to Jo-ann's after the quilt show on Saturday looking for craft supplies for the children (which they had plenty of!) and cruised by the remnant bin and found this bolt of fabric. It is 13+ yards of damaged tea dyed muslin being sold for 8.39, after my 10% card, it was about 7.50. Which is perfect, because I am going to use it for muslins soon.