Garden Path - Jacket - Part XXVII
I'd like to thank you for the sweet comments on my daughter! I am thankful that God has blessed us with such an pretty and interesting child.
Just a progress report today on how things are progressing!
I got the sleeves into the jacket and the jacket lining assembled, plus experimented with shoulder pads and sleeve headings. I think both will be necessary with this one to give it a nice shoulder line. Quilted fabrics seam to need the extra support that traditional tailoring methods offer.
I did have a quick question regarding the adjustment of the sleeve cap from designdreamer: "The piece that that was cut off that you show here, was that the only piece cut off? I was under the impression you cut it off in stages?" I only cut off one piece, the one shown in the photograph. From my post: "So, I began the process: unpin, draw a new seam line, baste, repin, check." Notice there was no trimming in there. I knew it would take several tries to get it right, and I did want to have to figure out two or three narrowly trimmed pieces would have to go back together, to say nothing of how inaccurate the piece would then be to use as a template or pattern piece. It was much easier to mark each try, and then trim once when the desired effect was achieved.
I received the 21 yards of soutache and 4 gross (576) of Swarovski heat set rhinestones from the Rhinestone Guy (see sources on the right for the link) in the color Jonquil in the mail this week. I will put the soutache to use either today or tomorrow making more braided trim. The rhinestones will have to wait until all assembly is complete - I'll show what I'm going to do with those later.
I am *still* working on the flower border. Sigh. I'm getting close to the just about finished point. What I mean by that is that I will still be filling in spots with leaves and a few more flowers and adding anything else I feel would be a finishing touch. The majority of the border should be done at the end of the week - I still need to do one more large rose, the two lilies and some pansies. Here's how it looks now - this is the front that was just being started (scroll down, its the 5th picture in the post) a couple of weeks ago:
The plan for the rest of the week is to finish the narrow trim and to get that flower border to the just about finished point. Next week I'll work more on jacket assembly!
Parting Shot: Cheesecake. For her birthday, my daughter requested a hazelnut-vanilla cheesecake from Baking With Julia. It was very good - even though the recipe called for cottage cheese and light cream cheese, which based on my experience are good for keeping things light calorie-wise, but not always good for texture.