Garden Path - Skirt - Part IV
Thank you all for the compliments on my niece's ensemble! It is fun to sew smaller things that don't require so much attention to fit and minute little details!
I am trying to get the skirt done and the blouse at least started before I go on vacation. I have been finishing up all sorts of projects that need to be finished anyway so that I can have a few days to really concentrate on this skirt.
Here's what I've got so far:
Not too bad, huh? It actually looks like a skirt!
I was able to get the trim onto the pocket edges today. You can see in the photo below that it is being attached with matching purple beads. Their purpose is to hold the trim in place, but not be extremely obvious.
I was going to use the double strand braid, but once I actually saw it pinned to the trim and on the skirt, I didn't like it. It was too heavy, thick and really took over the trim. I didn't want the pretty scallops or beading to be obscured. After unbraiding and rebraiding with five strands instead of ten, I was much happier with the result and finished it up. I still think it needs something, probably a hundred beads or so. Right?!? LOL. You know me, it *will* have something else, mostly likely beads before I'm officially done. It can wait - it won't take long to add the extra beads.
The really big news is that I got the zipper in and the side seams done. As you can see, I've placed the invisible zipper in the side seam along with the pocket. This was a big risky as there is that bulky trim that goes into the side seam, but I really did not want a vertical line in the back where the zipper would be - the front and back are nice and uninterrupted with the zipper in the side seam. I am really pleased with this zipper - it actually went in nicely and there is no bubble or pucker at the bottom.
Tomorrow's big plans are to keep working on the flower garden (as usual - I'll have to show you an update on that some time) and to get the waistband on. That will involve a bound buttonhole and a covered button, so that's probably plenty for one day. If all goes well, I'll be putting the hems in on Friday and will be done with the skirt, well except for those few extra beads.
Parting Shot: It Fits. After five photos and threatening to get the other photographer, I finally have a picture of me wearing the sweater. It is soft and warm and I'll think I'll wear it to church tonight - perfect for the air conditioning.
PS - Someone did ask about the pooling of the colors - I just let the yarn do its own thing and knitted away, not terribly conscious of how the colors ended up. Since this is a hand dye, there is not as much precision as some of the more engineered multi-colored yarns.