Rabbit Report #6
I'm still working on the Cottontail dress, but I thought I'd show you the finishing touch for the dresses - the tails.
Here's the Mother rabbit dress with a tail, and the Flopsy dress with a tail. Both of these are what I'm call the chocolate rabbits, as Cottontail and Peter are a lighter tan color and Mopsy will be the spotted rabbit. I know the tails look a bit odd and out of context, but with the rest of the costume, the tails will make sense.
The tails are pretty easy to make and attach. The animal costume pattern provided two pieces for the tail, a large circle and a smaller one. I found that the large circle made a tail that was a bit too big, so I made it a bit smaller.
After the circles are cut, the edges are gathered. I used a buttonhole twist thread. This thread is stronger than regular poly/cotton sewing thread and is better for the thicker fabric.
The tail portion is stuff with fiber fill, gathered into a tight circle and the thread is tied off. The smaller circle's edges are turned under.
The smaller circle is then stitched over the opening of the tail.
The tail is then stitched to the dress. I found it was much easier to pin the tail in place and then stitch from the wrong side of the dress rather than trying stitch down the tail from the right side. The tail is just attached with running stitches, so if it needs to be removed, it will be very easy to do so.
Q/A: Judemowris asked a while ago what was going to be done with these costumes when the play was over. When both performances are done, the costumes will be cleaned and stored for the next time the school does this play. I know they've done this one in the past, but I don't know how long ago. At least they'll have costumes the next time!
Parting Shot: Spotted Rabbit. I got approval from the director for a spotted rabbit. This is the fur I bought, photo of fabric from Joann's website. It is actually what is called "velboa", which is not as heavy or stiff as regular fake fur.