Rabbit Report #15
Peter's Coat Progress
I've made quite a bit of progress on Peter's coat over the last few days. I have the coat assembled and the lining assembled. All I have to do is join the two, hem it and add all the buttons and velcro. If all goes well, I should have that done tomorrow before I leave for rehearsal. I finished all the rabbit headpieces, so once the coat is done all I have left is Peter's shoes.
First, the buttons I forgot to show you last week, they are nice and large and shiny:
The coat lining is all assembled, complete with all of the interfacing. I chose to interface the facings rather than applying the interfacing to the body of the jacket. This is the fusible hair canvas and I didn't want any distinct lines where the front was interfaced or not. The fabric is pretty stiff by itself, so I didn't feel the need for any extra interfacing, except in the collar, which you'll see in a minute. I might take that out if I think the collar is too stiff.
I've added all the faux pockets to the front of the jacket. Basically I made all the flaps and the welt and then just stitched them in place without actually making a pocket. Remember, this is a costume, it just has to look good.
I've already stitched the shoulder pads in place, so really I'm almost to the point of finishing the jacket.
It looks like I'll be able to deliver these costumes either tomorrow or Thursday. I need to try all the headpieces on the actors tomorrow. I've dedicated Wednesday to retro-fitting and fine tuning all the costumes and finishing up any remaining pieces. I'm almost done!
Parting Shot: Video! I thought I've give you a little treat and upload a video of my son practicing his solo for the play. There are still a few issues that we have to work out between soloist and accompanist, but we'll fix that before the performances. This number is about Peter's desire for a tasty snack and where he can find one (Mr. McGregor's garden, of course!).