Rabbit Report #13
Now that BB is done, I've been working a lot on the rabbits, trying to finish them. The last major costume to be made is Peter's. I was going to make him shorts and rabbit legs, but because the actor needs to be able to run around the auditorium from Mr. McGregor, I thought full length trousers would be a better idea. Peter also will not get as hot if he's not wearing furry legs.
I'm using this pattern from Patrones #276, model #50:
Note that this pattern does not have many details except for four welt pockets and belt loops. Since this is a costume, I've decided not to do the pockets. Peter does not need them and they take a considerable amount of time to make. I'm keeping the belt loops.
Today, I got the trousers completed. Because they had very few details, they came together quickly. I will share with you what few details these trousers have. First, the trousers have elastic in the back waist. I left this feature in because it is a functional detail and important should the costume be used again with a different actor. You can see that I repurposed some elastic from a worn out pair of jeans, that's why the elastic color doesn't match. Not a detail that I'm worrying about right now, since the elastic was basically free.
Second, I folded under the inner waistband 3/8" instead of 5/8" and did a stitch in the ditch to finish the waistband. Normally, I would hand stitch the entire thing down and then do any additional top stitching on the right side. I rarely use the stitch in the ditch method as I like a cleaner and more precise look on the inside, but since this is a costume I think it will do and it saved me a lot of time. From the right side:
From the wrong side:
Of course, the tail:
Tomorrow I'll introduce you to a new project for my daughter. A little relief from the rabbits is needed!
Parting Shot: Green Things! We have green living plants! The snow is melting away, and since the temperatures have been relatively warm, my plants are starting to grow again.