Barcelona Beauty - Part #11
I made some fantastic progress today on the jacket! As you can see, the fronts and collar are completely assembled. Last night I finished hand stitching all the tape to the edges and pressed the fronts. Today I was able to work on finishing the assembly of the jacket.
Because this jacket has a shawl collar, the construction is a little different. I already had the side fronts attached to the side backs. The fronts then were stitched to the side front. In the right side of the picture, you can see the front, with the cut on collar. Notice there is a corner that will have to be stitched.
I first prepared the corner area, by stay stitching along the seam line and clipping into the corner.
There are two ways of stitching the shoulders/collar seams. Some people stitch all the way from one armhole edge to the corner, keep stitching across the collar to the opposite corner and then all the way to the other armhole edge in one long seam. I stitch the shoulder seams and then stitch the collar seam last. It really does not matter - either method will produce a finished shawl collar. Use whatever method works for you. Continuing on, I stitched the shoulder seams, then I stitched the center back collar seam.
I then pinned and stitched the collar to the neck edge, which finishes attaching the collar and center front.
I also had time today to construct and insert the sleeves, too!
Tomorrow I will try the jacket on and make any last minute fitting adjustments. After that I can make the lining, insert the lining, make buttonholes and finish hems. If I have another couple of good days of sewing, I think the suit will be finished!
Parting Shot: Paul Revere. My son finally finished his Paul Revere report today. Those pictures from the Boston trip came in handy for his cover!