BWOF 1/09 #122
Not Quite Done
I didn't get the jacket done in time to wear out today, but I will finish it up tomorrow. I'll give you a few details today and the final result tomorrow.
I had to make a few slight adjustments as I have very little fabric to work with, namely no belt loops or self fabric belt. This is fine because I can wear the jacket with or with the belt of my choosing. I literally had scraps when I was done cutting:
I added shoulder pads, as my shoulders slope a bit and didn't fill out the jacket properly. I added a little extra batting to some foam shoulder pads to make them a bit thicker. This is easy to do if you want a little more padding that the existing shoulder pads you have. Take a square of batting, place the shoulder pad on it diagonally, fold it in half and stitch around the shoulder pad and then trim the excess. The raw edge does not need to be finished, but can be serger or zigzagged to flatten it.
There were two other changes, one on the inside and one on the outside. I fused the entire body of the jacket with a lightweight fusible interfacing, but when I came to the collar and bands, they were not stiff enough with just the lightweight interfacing, so I added a layer of fusible hair canvas and I got the stability I was looking for. On the outside, I used pairs of snaps on the front band and sleeves, as the snaps I had were too small to use singly.
I still need to attach a few snaps, and then fix the shoulders as they're a bit too wide, you probably noticed those weird shoulders in the first shot:
I'll give the final photos and we'll talk about the shoulder fix tomorrow.
Parting Shot: IKEA! My husband and I went to Ikea today. I know this is probably not an earth-shattering event for some of you, but the nearest Ikea to us is about two hours away. Since he had the day off and the children were in school, it seemed like a good time to go. There was a lot to see and we came away with a lot of new ideas for our home.