Ride 'Em Cowboy - Shirt - Part VI
Back to Plan A
I've been stalled on REC for a while now because I haven't been able to figure out what I want to do with the rope in the background of the yokes and cuffs. It's a bit frustrating to go through idea after idea and each one not be "the right thing" or not be exactly the vision in your head. I went through this same problem with the appliqué flowers for Midnight Garden last fall. Once I figured out the right solution the project really started moving along.
Below, you can see some of the things I tried. At least I now know what I don't like and what won't work! I tried machine couching gold cord using various machine stitches, some various handstitches to imitate rope, and some hand couching of gold cord (not shown).
While I was pondering over all these samples, my son walked into the studio and wanted to know if I had figured out what I was going to do. I showed him the samples, the actual yokes and the drawings. He then wanted to know what it would really look like. We then spent quite a bit of time pinning samples together and then trying the yokes on and looking the mirror to see what he thought. It actually was fun to work with him. He was very interested in the design process as he knows this project is for him. Some of the questions he asked were quite interesting. He wanted to know how closely the judges would look at the garment and if he were wearing the ensemble in a fashion show how close the judges would be sitting to the catwalk.
Including him in the design process actually led me to what I think is going to work. Right away he was very clear as to what he didn't like and what he did like. In the end, after seeing all the samples, we both agreed that the rope should be hand embroidered in the chain stitch with metallic gold thread. I'm actually happy about that. I really didn't want to give up the chain stitch, as it is a nod to the chainstitch machine embroidery done by many western clothing artisans.
We also discovered that there wasn't enough room on the yoke for more than one star. I redrew the artwork for the front yoke, as you can see below. The outline of the pattern piece is the exact design area I have to work in. I reworked the rope to better fit the space and cleaned up the whole design.
Next week, I think I can really get to work on the appliqué and embroidery!
Parting Shot: Men's Vintage. For some reason, I seem hooked on vintage western or cowboy patterns just as much as I'm hooked on 50's cocktail dress and evening gown patterns. Here's my latest one. I've never seen this one before - it has a laced up front opening rather than a full length placket with buttons or snaps. I got it for a great price from eBay seller "oncillakat". I've bought from her before, she's an excellent seller and she always has interesting patterns.