First, thank you all so much for you enthusiastic and congratulatory remarks regarding Midnight Garden! I am amazed that you all stuck with it through the whole series - the jacket got to be quite an epic after all the things I didn't like, changed and reworked.
Due to the cost and time involved in making the white velvet jacket, I felt it would be wise to make a muslin before cutting any fabric. Here's the front and back. Bear in a mind that my junior photographer took these at a slight angle; I normally do not lean to one side (the back picture is particularly bad)!
This is a straight Burda 36. I did have to grade down to this size, as the pattern was published starting with size 38. For starters, I am going to:
- shorten the sleeves by one inch
- shorten the neck to waist length by one inch
- put a thicker shoulder pad into the right shoulder
A few alterations to the jacket later, namely the sleeve and body length, plus dropping the back neck a bit (there was a big wrinkle at the back neck where the collar met the jacket), and we have this, pictures courtesy of the other junior photographer:
This is a bit better, although I still feel that there might still be a bit of tweaking to be done. Maybe not. I'm not sure, actually. I'm a bit concerned about the small wrinkles on the bodice around the armscye both front and back. I'm thinking that might actually be a function of the fabric used for the muslin. It is definitely more drapey than the interfaced cotton underlined velvet will be. To that end, I did fuse some interfacing under the blue just to see what a stiff version would look like and it didn't wrinkle. I am thinking of raising the shoulder seam just on the back like I did with the trench coat - just a little, 1/2" or less. That will probably take care of those wrinkles. I think the sleeves hang fairly well, so I know they are not the problem.
So, help me out here. Is there anything I'm missing or something else I should try to improve? What I don't want to do is overfit or over analyze the whole thing.
Q/A: Regarding the Midnight Garden lining crickets, Vicki was very, very observant and noticed that, "And on the inside are there 2 hopping to the centre? On a previous post the inside cricket was hopping in a different direction." You're absolutely right, Vicki! Each cricket on the lining is hopping in a different direction! That, of course, means that I had to make at least one cricket facing each direction. That was planned. All of the outer most flaps of the skirt and jacket have the flowers/hopping crickets on their lining. The interiors of the the under flaps have the labels/flowers.
Parting Shot: Necklace in Progress. I got the supplies today for making the jewelry. For as simple as this jewelry is, it was very hard to make a decision as to what to make! I had many, many choices of beads and findings and I spent a good two hours just looking at all of it until I made a decision. Now that I know what I'm doing, I should be able to finish it up tonight.