Redecorating My Daughter's Room
A Few More Details
By this point, you've seen the new paint for my daughter's room and her new window treatment. Today I'll show you the canopy and a share a few thoughts about making it, plus the new accent pillows for her bed.
Here's the pattern we used for the canopy, Simplicity 4069. She saw the exact same canopy pattern in Vogue, but fortunately I found this pattern for 25 cent at Martin's House of Cloth because it has been discontinued.
Here's my version, at least the top portion:
We used a floral print for the top and a stripe for the wavy border. The whole thing is fairly easy to make. The top is made of six wedge shaped pieces sewn together. The wavy border is made of two pieces, sewn right sides together, then clipped and turned. This is attached to the top, and then the curtains are added. Once that's complete, a casing is attached which has velcro to enclose the 18" quilting hoop that keeps the whole thing in a circular shape. The instructions tell you to cut 12 pieces of velcro that are 1" long and attach those in 12 different places around the canopy. Um, think again. I just zigzagged a narrow piece of velcro all the way around the whole thing for the closure. The flower wreath is an extra, not part of the original pattern. I made that from clearance flowers and florist's wire. It just sits on the top of the canopy and is not attached in any way.
Here are the pillows that I made after my daughter salvaged the backs for me. I simply took squares of the two fabrics we're using and embellished them with stuff that I had from the stash and some decorative machine stitches. It was actually a lot of fun to do, because I just did whatever worked for the particular top I was working on with no particular premade plan.
The only thing missing at this point is a bedskirt, and some wall art. I have the fabric for the bedskirt (the stripe), but I'm not making one until we buy her a new bed, as the drop for the ruffle will most likely be different from one for this bed. The quilt, btw, is one I made for her a long time ago and we decided to reuse it for this decor since it coordinates fairly well with it.
She absolutely loves her room, and I'm the best mommy in the world. At least until I make her vacuum or something.
Parting Shots: Back to the berry farm. We went out this morning and picked another 3 quarts of berries. There are lots of berries and it's very easy picking. Two quarts went into a batch of raspberry jam. In the last picture, my son is labeling jam jars. We made another batch of blueberry as well as the raspberry today. That brings the total to 27 jars for the year, which will last us until next year, and I won't buy any store bought jams. We're just finishing the last jar of last year's strawberry jam!