Easter Dress, Part 3
I've changed a few things about the skirt. Let me explain. The original skirt had pockets in the side front skirt seams and I've decided in the interest of time to not do the pockets. They'd be handy and I'd like them, but all the extra binding is time consuming, plus I have a nice large piece of fabric leftover that I'd like to do something else with. I've decided to do french seams for all the skirt seams and leave it at that.
The skirt circumference is 126". Here's a picture of me holding the skirt before the last seam was sewn. I'm actually standing on one of the laboratary tables in my classroom.
I went ahead and pleated the skirt as per the markings on the pattern, and that ended in disaster. I forgot that I took out 3" total out of the circumference of the bodice. The pleated skirt then was too big for the bodice. After some careful measuring and a little mathematics, I figured out how to make it work. I ended up with 48 pleats. You can see everything pinned together, below, ready for some stay stitching:
Finished product so far:
I still need to tack down a few facings, put in the zipper and hem the dress. I'm not sure if I'm going to hand pick the zipper or topstitch it in. It's not an invisible zipper, so I almost think it would be easier and less obstrusive to put it in by hand.
Parting Shot: The view from my ironing board this morning - I have it right under the window which is just about at ground level since I'm in the basement. I've had offers to spend Easter in Australia or Paris, and let me say, it's mighty tempting!
Tonight I have choir practice and I need to finish getting another dress ready for a fitting. The wedding dress fitting went really well today, the dress needs very little adjusting, so I'm really happy with that.
This afternoon I'm taking the kids shopping - they have the day off for a snow day. I'm looking for shoes, belt and beads for me, and my daughter needs shoes and a new dressy sweater (no surprise!).