Waiting For Spring - #6
The Woodburning Tool
Remember the woodburning tool I showed you last week sometime? Today is the day I'm going to explain what I use it for. This has been an experiment for me, I've never used one. I do know that people are doing some very interesting things in fiber arts with layering synthetic fabrics and then burning through some layers to reveal other layers and create texture. I might explore that another time. For this project, I'm using the tool to cut and seal polyester organza into little flower shapes.
It took a little experimenting before I figured out how to get a consistent shape. Freehand isn't as easy as it looks, and for the project I need uniformity. Like everything else in art, a template is extremely useful, as is the correct work surface. We did a small kitchen makeover this fall and installed tin ceiling plates as backsplashes between the countertops and cabinets. We also painted the kitchen red, which is fabulous in and of itself! I know I've lost you now. So what in the world does that have to do with this? I salvaged a scrap of tin to use as a cutting surface and to make a template. The heat doesn't hurt the tin and it sure saves my work surface! You can see the template in the picture above between the tin and the woodburning tool.
I simply trace around the template with a very fine point (a mini flow point) pull the organza away, and lift off the flower. Very simple as long as you don't burn yourself. I need to make 82. I've got 53 done, but they cut pretty quickly. I can get the remainder of them cut in about 30 minutes.
Here's what I've decided to do with them:
Again, this was trial and error. One layer wasn't dark enough on the green, so I had to use two layers. I was going to offset the layer, but didn't like the result. I tried cutting one layer smaller, but didn't like that either. The very small flowers didn't cut out nicely. Once I added the center bead and sequin, I decided it need more beads (what else would it need?). I then needed to decide whether the beads should be up against the sequin or in the petals. My daughter thought it looked better this way. Good enough for me.
Parting Shot: So much for Mr. Squirrel. If he has any sense, he'll be back in his warm den for another week or so. We're supposed to get another 8 to 12 inches of snow tonight.
It seems like this vest is taking quite a bit of my time recently, and will continue to until the deadline. I haven't forgot Diamonds. It is still on my dressform, so that I can percolate about it. I think I've got some new ideas. I still have plenty of time to work on the Easter dress, too.
For tonight, I think I'm in for a nice evening of beading in front of the TV.