Easter Dress Update . . .
and other snippets.
First, thank you for your compliments on the vest. It was a little crazy getting it done, but it went out today and I'll wear it in the fashion show in about 2 weeks. One of these years, I really should make a garment in the style of Faberge and do it true justice with more planning and elaborate execution. As it is, I have enough ideas to carry me into 2008, so that idea will have to wait.
Second, Carolyn asked me about how I make my labels. I will give you all the details in tomorrow's post. I basically have two methods, neither too hard, but I'll show you both.
Third, my daughter's Easter dress is coming along nicely. It's almost finished. The two main things that need to be done are all the buttonholes in the hem (48 to be exact) and all the handstitching to stitch down all the bias bound facings along the neck and armholes.
Below is a sneak peak of the collar and hem. In the first picture, you can see a close-up of the collar and ribbon. In the second picture, you can see a mock up of the hem. I had to do a mock up to get the proportions right for a wider band and wider ribbon. Since this feature wasn't included in the original pattern, I took the proportions from the collar and enlarged them for the hem band. When in doubt, take the time to make a trial or muslin of what you're trying to do. It saves a lot of time, frustration and tears. Trust me, I've been there.
I'll post the final pictures of her in her dress on Thursday, along with some commentary on some construction changes I made to the original pattern, beyond the fitting changes I already posted.
Fourthly, I've had to make a slight change of plans, for my own Easter outfit. The dress I was planning to make is still going to be made, but I need another dress for the choir's Easter concert. The original dress, while beautiful, is a bit too much for a performance where the emphasis is on the music and words. I already have another dress ready to be made anyway, so I'm going to make that first and if I have time, I'll make the original dress. It is another vintage pattern - never used, too! I'll be posting about the new dress soon.
Lastly, I'm returning to working on Diamonds at the end of the week, and will finish that up sometime in April. I'll also be working on a wedding dress for a client through April.
Parting Shot: Daffodills! Well, not quite, but at we have a start:
Tonight I'm going to try to finish all those buttonholes. The machine is set up and has the right size memorized, the positions are all marked, so I just need to sit down and do them! Tomorrow it's more buswork and a bodice only muslin for me.